I know the feeling that I don't like store-bought BBQ sauce and yet have to buy one. Well, those days are long gone. With the availability of the internet, there are many homemade recipes available. I will talk about a simple homemade barbecue spicy sauce recipe that has been in our family for two generations. This healthy homemade barbecue sauce will take your grilling experience to the next level. You can also enjoy this sauce with other types of food to your liking. And you can pour, spread, or dip your favorite barbecue or barbecue meat or seafood to add the rich sweet and sour flavor of the barbecue sauce. So, start making your own BBQ sauce by following this recipe and feasting!
Basics of preparing a spicy homemade BBQ sauce
Making a good BBQ sauce is not that difficult. Usually a simple BBQ sauce recipe contains a tomato base (tomato sauce / pasta), acid, spices, and sweetness. You can make your own adjustments to the ingredients based on your preference.
My barbecue hot sauce recipe resembles Western South Carolina sauces because of its spicy, sweet, and spicy flavor. I promise you will love this sauce. As you do so, be sure to follow the steps below to make sure you are making a quality sauce.
Most of the online BBQ sauce recipes you will find use tomato sauce as the base. But in my recipe, I have used the old fashioned tomato paste, so you can skip the high fructose in the tomato sauce. Tomato paste will also provide a constant thickness to the sauce. I have used orange juice to dilute the tomato paste and add acidity and sweetness to the sauce. If you opt for a homemade sweet barbecue sauce, use more orange juice. Choose the freshly squeezed tomato. Do not choose the ones that have added sugar.
Do not use any unnatural sweetening agents. It will make the sauce lose its flavor. Use maple syrup to naturally sweeten the sauce. You'll also get great depth of flavor with pure maple syrup. If you are looking for a sweet BBQ sauce recipe, you can use this recipe.
To add a strong flavor to the sauce, use Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar. The acidity will not only give that spicy flavor to your BBQ sauce, but it will reduce the unnecessary sweetness of the sauce and achieve a balance of flavor. Acidity will also work as a flavor enhancer.
You can adjust the spice level of capsaicin to your preference. Some like a lot of heat, while others just crave a smooth kick. I'll use jalapeños and chipotle powder for more hot spices, smoky flavor, and sustainable heat.
By adding garlic, sautéed onion, and paprika, you will get a unique layer of flavor in each serving. By using a dry heat cooking process, you can bring new flavors to your sauce that you cannot avoid simply simmering.
Making homemade barbecue sauce
The homemade barbecue sauce that we are going to make goes fantastic with any meat but goes especially well with grilled meat. It brings spicy and sweet flavor to the meat. And now, we will discuss in detail the recipe of homemade barbecue sauce.
You will need these ingredients to prepare a cup of the easy barbecue sauce recipe:
- Vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
- Chopped onion – ½ cup
- Chopped jalapeños – 1 tsp
- Chopped garlic – 2 cloves
- Apple cider vinegar – ¼ cup
- Dijon mustard – 1 tablespoon
- Worcestershire sauce – ¼ cup
- Maple Syrup – ¼ cup
- Paprika – 1 tablespoon
- Powder chipotle – ¼ teaspoon
- Kosher salt – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato paste – ¾ cup
- Orange juice – ¾ cup
Preparation time:  Preparation: 10 minutes
For this healthy BBQ sauce recipe, follow these steps:
- Take the oil in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat
- Add the sauteed onion to the pan and stir for about 5 minutes. until softened
- Put the jalapeños in the mixture and cook the mixture for 30 seconds
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, so that the mixture becomes fragrant. Reduce heat to medium-low heat
- Add apple cider vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, maple syrup, tomato paste, chipotle powder
- Bring the mixture to a slow cook temperature . Simmer until sauce thickens and acidity level is reduced
- Stir sauce occasionally for 20 minutes
- Use a mesh strainer to strain sauce
- Let sauce cool to temperature atmosphere
- Serve the sauce with your favorite meat
- To store the sauce, keep the sauce in an airtight container or container. Use the sauce for 4 days and store it in the refrigerator
3. Nutritional value
These are the nutritional contents of the homemade spicy barbecue sauce for each serving (each serving = 1 tablespoon of sauce):
|Total fat||1 g  Sodium||133mg|
- For a spicier flavor, increase the amount of chipotle powder
- You can use cayenne or chili powder instead of chipotle powder
- For a smoker flavor, you can use smoked paprika to make the salsa
Summer is knocking on the door and the grill season is about to begin. You love to grill, but why not make your own barbecue sauce in addition to grilling the meat? This homemade spicy barbecue sauce will make your roasting experience more interesting. You can never go wrong with this sauce, as it combines with meat and seafood.